The Longest Way

Tuesday, January 5, 2010
So I opted to spend my New Year's weekend in Williamstown, soaking in the rarefied mountain air and steeping, like some sort of pale and anaerobically inclined teabag, in the musical atmosphere. Both Sarah and her mother are music people, so it's almost too much joy to handle - it's none too common, outside of my conversations with Sarah, that I get to talk about all the crazy ideas I have for music and all the little things that I love about it. It makes me really grateful that we are able to understand each other about it!

And we talked quite a bit about it - I ended up passing some of the things I talked about with her along to Gums during our band meeting thing. Musicals are a little different than the direction I'm aimed at, but having gone through the whole English degree rigmarole - and paying attention to narrative form in video games and books - I do have a thing or two to say about it. In a lot of ways, the how of the telling of the story is equally as important as the what - demonstrated easily by the many times that personally hilarious stories fall flat when I can't phrase them quite right.

One thing that we talked about was how to work into musicals things that haven't been really done before - experimental ways of telling stories through music, whether the experiment is the narrative form or the music itself. She's an outright amazing composer, so I feel like some weird styles of music in her hands - dub, metal, house or dance, motown, etc - would be awesome to hear, especially mashed into a big lump with her own influences. The idea, in general, is to be as wildly experimental as possible while telling something coherent and powerful - to come up with unique ways of conveying emotion and the musical styles that will carry them. Especially in musicals, it seems like there's a somewhat rigid structure of what's expected, what 'works' - and I don't think that has to be so.

For example, in the 48 hour videogame contest I've participated in a few times (www.ludumdare.com - 48 hours to design a game from scratch around a concept) people use some of the most insane ways of framing concepts and games that I've ever seen. During one of the contests (the theme being "Exploration"), you wander through what is essentially a 2D platformer a la Mario - except the platformer is set inside your character's own head, and you are exploring his past. You kind of fumble through various transformations and trippy text and obstacles without a clear objective or meaning..and yet it's really good because of that. Definitely not something that a major studio would produce, but merely because it is risky - not because it isn't good. I feel the same way about music - and by extension, musical theater - that to make the best stuff you really have to go out on a limb.

In a similar way, that's what Gums and I are trying to do - throw together a ton of different ideas and see what sticks. We both feel that metal in the 2000's has stagnated, kind of grown...dull, fat, and complacent. Sure, you can turn down the distortion or turn up the distortion, add female vocals, add male vocals, do screaming and singing, turn up the tempo or down the tempo...but it still seems like a lot of it is pushing around the same ideas. Maybe it's a little naive of us to assume that we have something new to bring to the table, but I don't know - something just feels really good about collaborating with him. We've gotten a ton done in a really short time, whereas other people I've played with...well, they just flaked out almost immediately.

I have, for once, one of my own songs stuck in my head - and I just finished a small chunk of lyrics for it, so I am off to bed - with my words dancing in my head.

Mine is the longest way
Though my eyes no longer see
Through the path that does not stray
On the road defined by me

4 comments:

Will said...

I guess I'd still be inclined by the idea of bringing in dance/house/dub elements as well as avant-garde and noise type stuff.
Some examples or ideas: (It's not letting me paste youtube links for whatever reason so I'll list 'em.)

A Place to Bury Strangers - To Fix the Gash in Your Head: Not metal, but those dance/noise elements in a pretty dark and zoney song.

Rabbit Junk - Iso vs Life: These guys always seem a bit cheesy and Nu-Metally but this song has a continuous dance beat with rapped lyrics that build to angry guitars.

Ministry - We Believe: From the second album, in a transitional period from synthpop to industrial metal. This has kinda been done (sounds a lot like NIN's first album), but I like the idea.

Public Image Ltd - the album Flowers of Romance (I especially like "Track 8" which I just posted on facebook). Avant-gardey but still moves.

I guess I don't know how it would sound all together.

Stephen Stewart said...

Yeah, dude. Compare something like Aida, Rent and My Fair Lady. All amazing musicals in their own right, but all very different. Then listen to something like Razia's Shadow by Forgive Durden...completely different take on the "musical"...and highly successful if you ask me.

There's a ton of innovation out there to be had. So go get it!

juosen said...

I'll have to check out Razia's Shadow - I've never heard of it.

Will - I really like some of To Fix The Gash In Your Head, but only a really tiny bit - I guess what you'd call the solo. I guess the one thing that song really lacks is any sort of tension and release - it's all just one of the two, though I can't decide which. Plus it's kind of...what I'd call emotionally distant? Does that make any sense?

I think it's kind of easy to make things that are different. To make them both different and good is another matter entirely. I guess I like avant-garde stuff in the context of using it to enliven more traditional music (a la, stuff with regular tones and harmony) because it's just really hard to identify with songs that lack a melody, at least for me. That's pretty much my beef with Track 8 too. I'll listen to the other two and let you know what I think.

I think with this sort of music there is a risk of intentionally being inaccessible and arty and I really want to try and avoid that. If I can't do both good and new music, then it's a failure. The new is, in a way, guaranteed - everyone has their own touch they'll add - just how new is the question.

Will said...

Yeah, I totally get what you mean as far as risking being inaccessible in an attempt to be artsy. I guess I like the idea of trying to convince myself that I like stuff that's way out there - I've repeatedly listened to Zappa's "Girl in the Magnesium Dress" trying to convince myself I like it, but always longed for a melody. PiL's album Flowers of Romance seems to be right on the edge of what I can wrap my head around. Their second album, Metal Box, which I think you have, is one level more accessible. Songs without a strong melody seems to be more about setting a mood and I can remember and like how how I feel listening to the song - or the emotional trip an album takes me on.

I think I get what you mean about To Fix The Gash in your head. The production of the band's music is a bit weird. The "noise" turned way up burying everything else, especially the vocals which wayyy in the background. It's hard to hear sometimes without it equalized in the just the right way. This sound, which I associate with shoegaze and psychedelia, might create that distance you're speaking of. But I do get the sensation of the the world whirling around me but not being part of it, (like when drunk and tired at a party and zoned out on the couch?) which is kinda cool sometimes.

All this said, I don't know how this all really fits into a composer's perspective. I just like yammering. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

Post a Comment