I Always Win At Stratego

Saturday, September 25, 2010
The title is in reference to the fact that Sarah is currently writing a song for one of her classes about the end of summer and she is falsely propagating the lie that she beat me at Stratego! That is an impossibility. I always win the first game of Stratego I play against someone, and then they never want to play me again. I think my skill at Stratego comes from years of playing a mental game with myself as a teenager: if an axe murderer was to walk in my room and swing his axe vertically at my bed in the dark, which side should I be sleeping on to fake him out? What if he comes two nights in a row? Three? Do you stay on the same side of the bed, or do you switch?

No, you're not allowed to call the police. That's not how the game works.

Kind of a crappy week of running - I had a huge, oh-shit-if-I-fuck-this-up-there-are-million-dollar-customers-who-will-be-super-pissed kind of project to finish. And I inherited it from someone who quit a few weeks prior to it being due (and a few weeks away from being anything close to acceptable). It's finally done but man that was unpleasant. It's the only time I've actually really felt stressed at this job - usually the planning goes a lot better than this but it's pretty hard to plan for the 'what if the main programmer for this thing suddenly quits' contingency. I think I picked up some sort of illness + huge headache out of it and just felt good enough again today to resume running, so c'est la vie. Quite a low mileage week. Being sick for a bit evidently didn't hurt too much because today's tempo went really well.

Sun: 10 miles, 72 minutes
Mon: planned day off
Tue: 5.75 miles warmup and cooldown
4.6 miles of 90 / 60 / 30 hills at Heartbreak. Went really well, did it with Steve.
Wed: sick
Thu: sick
Fri: sick
Sat: 5.75 miles warmup and cooldown
5 mile tempo at Fresh Pond w/ Paul. Also went surprisingly well - 26:50 for 5 miles. Definitely the fastest tempo I've ever done and the second fastest 5 mile.

So that's a solid 31 miles and 212 minutes of running. Oh well - stuff happens. Still won't be a bad month overall for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment