Summah Wrapup

Wednesday, September 15, 2010
So my attempts to update this weekly over the summer were in vain. I got busy and lazy, so I'm just going to summarize my summer miles and launch right into cross country season and pretend the temporary hiatus of this blog o' the webs never happened.

O'er the summer I ran 410 miles in 9 weeks, giving me a solid average of 45.5. Not bad! I said many times, and I'll say it again: running in the summer in a humid environment is like slowly having your teeth sandpapered. I don't deal with it well. This is still probably my best summer of running ever - I don't know that I've managed to crack 60 in a summer before besides counting cross-training as mileage. It did feel a lot easier than summers past, probably just because I got started earlier in the summer and wasn't a fat blob at the hottest point. I think I also ran most of my easy runs quicker than I usually do - my typical pace used to be more in the 7:30 range but I'm down around 6:45 - 7:15 nowadays.

I flubbed one week or two - I wanted to try and run basically over 50 the entire time. There was one back in July where I think I ran 10 miles...somehow got sick in the middle of summer.

I managed to keep things going pretty well when I went to Chicago to visit one half of the family, but not so much visiting the Southerners for the Southern Baptist-Jewish wedding. Yeah, I am surprised it happened too.

With our first week of cross country underway, and Steve and I deep in mourning for our fellow JV squad member T. "Wedding Spikes" Kaijala, workouts are finally beginning and so I can at least have some more impetus to get out the door. Chris McC is also out with a now-healed stress fracture, but not yet working out. Haven't seen Kevin A., Rupprecht has been schooling us quite handily, and no Brendan or (most importantly) JeffPa. Though there was a sighting of some gnarled old root of a man at Franklin Park on Saturday...high-stepping away from Steve and I like Deion Sanders circa the early 90's.

Sun: 10 mi, 65 mins
Mon: 7 mi, 49 min
Tues: 6 mi w/u & c/d
3 x 3 min on, 1 min off, 2 min on, 1 min off @ The Res
(3.5 miles o work)
Kinda got thrashed. Did this one with Steve, Pete, and Merner at the end.
Wed: 8 mi, 60 mins
Thu: 6.5 mi, 47 mins
Fri: 8.25 mi, 59 mins
Sat: 7.5 mi w/u & c/d
6 x 2 min on, 2 min off @ Franklin Park
(about 3.75 miles o' work)
tot: 60 miles, 419 minutes

Saturday felt better than Tuesday. Promptly went home and bought a cake and drove to Manhattan. The end!

0 comments:

Post a Comment